INTERVIEW: Mitchell Hancock, aka BIGG RIFF




It has been SO LONG since I have had to edit audio myself - the last time I did anything like this was back around 2013 when I recorded an EP in a basement with only concrete walls to "dampen" the sound. I spent a couple months tinkering with EQ and audio levels on Pro Tools for what turned to only be a two-track shin-dig. It was terrible, but I had a lot of fun doing it and was proud of the finished product - this project was more or less the same feeling. I used Audacity this time around, but using this software was just like riding a bike. It was tedious to go through the original interview track and cut out all the little "um" and "uhhhhh" moments (I probably cut about 2 minutes from an originally 12 minute track, not counting the ones that I left in there for artistic value), but I believe the end product turned out well enough.

I initially chose to interview Mitchell because he is my roommate/bandmate so it was easy in that sense, but he's also one of the best communicators and storytellers that I know. He's always entertaining to talk to, so I figured we'd just sit down and have a chat and see what happened. Some of the best moments from this podcast come from spontaneity, which is exactly what I wanted. Super rehearsed dialogues are no fun.

It was also a no-brainer to choose one of our own songs for this podcast (40's - We Found Home). I think the intro of the tune accentuates a fun beginning to the interview, while bringing it back at the end creates an ideal high note to go out on. It was a fun interview with a fun dude, so it should end with a fun tune.

Podcasts are a fun way to consume media while doing pretty much anything from driving to showering to mowing the lawn, which are the 3 times I listen to podcasts the most. While I usually just keep up with PTI and The Ringer NBA Show, there is an endless abundance of different content areas for podcast areas to cater to just about any listener. Many of these can encourage students and listeners to take an alternative learning route to learning about certain concepts.

As a future English teacher, I could see myself using the means of a podcast to potentially accommodate novel lessons for students that are blind or visually impaired (incidentally, I just gave part of a presentation on this the other day). If I do readings of segments of books to replicate something like an audiobook, this would help those students be able to keep up with the lesson. I would probably go about it the same way - just record my reading on something as simple as a phone, slap it into Audacity, cut out all the parts where I mix up words, and then I'd be set.

Comments

  1. Hi Troy,

    Your use of original music that connects to your subject is a great idea. You use it well and your volume levels work consistently throughout the podcast. Overall, your audio quality is good. The ambient noise doesn't get in the way of your subject's stories.

    The story about finding a venue for a final show flows well and is engaging. As an interviewer, you model the 80/20 rule perfectly, assisting him in telling his story but never getting in the way of it. The points about passive aggression is interesting, too. He weaves some interesting perspectives into his stories about the role of home and the way environments can shape a person's outlook.

    Your edits are seamless, as well, which helps with the flow of the interview and the podcast in general.

    You chose a colorful guest and let him tell his story in a way that captures his character.

    It may have been nice to have your voice at the end to wrap up the podcast by giving us something to reflect on and conclude. You introduce the concepts very well in the beginning. A similar shot at the end would be even better.







    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Multigenre

I Love you Tom

Grammar? I hardly know 'er!